Tigers (11/95)

There is no question about whether or not it was worth getting up early this morning and departing just as the sun was beginning to rise. The preserve area has 20% that tourists are allowed in, and not the other 80%. That area in turn is divided into five areas with the route that morning/afternoon determined by lottery on arrival. There are about 50 tigers in the area (20 females/30 males). All are tracked (no collars or chips) and are named and numbered. The three we saw today were one older female (T19) and two of her three offspring from her last litter being about 24 months old at this time. Since adult tigers can be more than 200 kg in size I can understand why they are recognized on the basis of markings. Those markings (or occasional behavior patterns) have also led to common use names. The three in that litter are known as Arrowhead, Lightening (the two females named for markings on faces and legs) and the male is known as Pacman (yes, he does eat…)

So this morning we saw tigers (these are two – the third was lying down in the distance and mostly what we saw was white belly)
019A4568 019A4572 019A4576 019A4590 019A4595
The afternoon – not so much. It was bird and deer time which for me was just as fine (and surprisingly only four of the 16 decided that they weren’t going to come along). So we had Sabur and spotted deer

and the birds – from eagles through robins to various parakeets to silly Peacocks settling down in trees for the evening…

Also to be noted – since this area was once one of the local king’s preserves and hunting areas located right below his fort on the hill

019A4691 019A4688

there are also a number of temples, stone walls, memorials and other buildings along with trees and whatever else caught my fancy



Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About Holly

fiber person - knitter, spinner, weaver who spent 33 years being a military officer to fund the above. And home. And family. Sewing and quilting projects are also in the stash. After living again in Heidelberg after retiring (finally) from the U.S. Army May 2011, we moved to the US ~ Dec 2015. Something about being over 65 and access to health care. It also might have had to do with finding a buyer for our house. Allegedly this will provide me a home base in the same country as our four adult children, all of whom I adore, so that I can drive them totally insane. Considerations of time to knit down the stash…(right, and if you believe that…) and spin and .... There is now actually enough time to do a bit of consulting, editing. Even more amazing - we have only one household again. As long as everyone understands that I still, 40 years into our marriage, don't do kitchens or bathrooms. For that matter, not being a golden retriever, I don't do slippers or newspapers either. I don’t miss either the military or full-time clinical practice. Limiting my public health/travel med/consulting and lecturing to “when I feel like it” has let me happily spend my pension cruising, stash enhancing (oops), arguing with the DH about where we are going to travel next and book buying. Life is good!
This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.