In spite of not getting started as early as I planned (isn’t being on line and cruising around Ravelry good for burning up lots of time?), I managed the following:
sides sewn together
neck edging started
which meant that sweater, hanger, camera and I headed outside.
Finished - front
Finished - the back
(slight detour involving teenage son, a meal, and a ride to the train station so that he could catch the 1614 instead of a later train back to school).
moving on to the
Textured Sleeveless Vest
I managed to figure out an alternative way of constructing the next and binding off the shoulders together that did not involve more than two rows of frogging.
shoulders bound off
Since it looked like it was going to take longer to knit the collar than the armholes – I went there next, increasing needle sizes about every inch plus increasing a few stitches in the back of the collar.
start of collar
This particular color has never photo’d well, and it is worse at night.
Finally, I used a much smaller needle for the armhole ribbing and was done.
Being as how it was only 2100, I moved on to
and finally got past the cuff on the first sleeve
progress on first sleeve
If I can finish the first sleeve tomorrow, then I will let myself start Brage on the 15th.
I am off to update my Ravelry Project page since I finally have progress to show and only two (Pagode and Faery Ring) left as WIP.
Mindless knitting, that is what I am doing. Back and forth in endless contemplation of stitches sliding along my needles too many to count.
starting the stripes
I am doing well to remember to change the colors in this section every four rows which means every two ridges. The decreases are on the right sided rows. As it gets blurrier with the rows increasing my mind has been known to wander. In contrast to the other HF (Pyramid) on the needles where I am down to double digits for the rows, I think I am still well over 800 stitches per row. It takes forever to knit a row (she whines further).
and more to go...
Can you blame me for being a bit bleary eyed after a full day of staring at the computer screen at work followed by this?
I have mentioned Pagoda, right? Knit as written it would be two fronts and a back seamed together for ever under the arms. I looked at it and thought about knitting it in one piece till the decreases ate up all the fronts. About half way up the back if my memory serves me right.
I was only drinking coffee when I figured this out. Not any alcohol containing beverage, just swiss mocha. Perhaps it was the chocolate and coffee together? Even without caffeine?
Did I give you the numbers? 130+170+86 per side + 142 for the back. With four paired decreases every ridge that means that my total number of stitches only goes down 8 (eight!). At this point, I am knitting just over 800 stitches per row, rather than 9xx+. It is still insane and it seems like forever till that last of the six markers hoves in sight.
The only thing I can say with certainty (other than I have no clue as to how much yarn this is going to take) is that at least the sides will exactly match….. There is that. Matching is a good thing. I have to keep telling myself that. And that I will be able to finish it prior to going completely grey.
Work? Combination of hurry up and never mind – we will do that after vacation. Unlike the US Army which keeps all organizations open through the holidays on a reduced staff/half-day work schedule, the British Army just plain closes organizations requiring a representative of each division to be available by phone. It also means that leave gets used up, whether or not you would really want to be off at this time of year. Must be nice to get more than 30 days/year and not be penalized for weekend days….
Started about a month ago, this is my second Hanne Falkenberg kit. The sleeves have been finished and sewn in.
setting in the sleeve
First sleeve after joining
Completed (sorry for the lack of mirror shots -grin).
There are a couple of recommendations that I would make to anyone wanted to knit this sweater. Not surprisingly, they are the same as for the Mermaid. First, I would start at the edge of the front with a provisional cast on. After completing the body and sewing together the shoulders, I would then knit the collar. As it is written, there is no way to avoid a seam in the collar (or sewing the collar to the back of the neck). This in turn gives a slightly unpleasant ridge any way you do it. For the sleeves, I would again start with a provisional cast on just so that the bind off would be simpler.
And on to another disk of CSI: It is Ms Copper and I who are enjoying this. The other two just look at us like we are nuts.