Just a quick knitting update that I forgot yesterday
First – there is Fafner (no Umlauts on this computer)
No, the blank front on the left is not a mistake – that is where I will appliqué the dragon.
and the cables (well they are mirrored so sort of…)
Then there is Faery Ring
and finally Pagode where I am on the home stretch.
I need daylight, good daylight in which to take pictures. Instead, what I watched out the window was rain the whole grey day.
It matched me hacking out my lungs. Again. This is getting really irritating as once more I have tender ribs. If I am still like this on Friday morning, I might even go in on sick call.
The solution for today was to call a friend and invite her to bring over soup for dinner (I provided the veggies and salad) and sit, knit, and chat.
No pattern – just the picture stolen from the Eau Claire exhibit of Knitting along the Viking Trail
with yarn wound
and the ribbing started 2×2 on 3mm needles
and yes, I am aware that I am knitting back and forth. Think cardigan, not jumper (pullover)
when folded properly you can see that I finished the sleeve increases and am ready to head into the stripes – aka 12 ridges down and 48 to go.
There is a new, not improved interface for iTunes 9. I am not thrilled, for one thing they wiped out all the things I had on hold in the shopping cart. Ok, so I should not be using the shopping cart for a wish list, but isn’t that my choice.
Any who, I need to move on to a new listen. I tried out one of the Deathstalker serials, but prefer books read, not performed (multiple cast with sound effects).
Probably back to Good Omens (Pratchett, Gaiman).
I am tired, it is late. I am not setting an alarm.
Perhaps this is picture will make things clearer?
You can now more easily see the back of the sweater (horizontal stripes). Also visible are the backsides of the fronts. All I did was place the sleeve stitches which have been on hold on separate needles.
To finish, all I need to do is knit back and forth across the width of the back, knitting into the sleeve stitches which are on hold (and the bottom of the sleeves) at each end to match the decreases.
The good news is that I have only 60 ridges to go. The more challenging news is that I have no clue where I put the slightly darker grey that I used in the first set of stripes. Oh yes, and the ridges at the end of the sleeves for cuffs prior to sewing the shoulder seam, can’t forget them.
I like the sweater, it is working out exactly on gauge. The problem of course is that I am not that big and may well swim in it. At 130cm around, that is not surprising. I do have several friends on whom this would fit perfectly and be elegant.
In my colors. Right.
Anyway, I might just do it again, but make some massive adjustments in the width and perhaps lengthen it a bit. Now that I have gotten this far, it is not that difficult a knit, just hours of mindless garter. Great for cruises or long car trips (unless I happen to be the driver….)
I’ve read all the novels that came home with me from the library last week and back to audio books. One of the Jayne Krentz Arcane Society novels entertained me on my drive back from taking The Mole to school in Kent while Way to Glory – #4 in the Lt Leary series by David Drake made my first trip back to the gym almost tolerable.
The library at Camp Doha used to receive up to eight boxes of new paperbacks every month which were then put out on the shelves for all anyone traveling through or permanent party. She gave me a number of empty boxes – they were obviously sturdy. The librarian was more than happy to let me make off with empty boxes. This one dates from July 2003. It made the trip back to Germany at the end of my tour and since then it has made several more trips via MPS. This final time it brought spinning and weaving magazines to the UK.
Next on its stop is Norwich and from there to a Carmelite Monestary in Herts.
Funny how such a simple object can trigger off a cascade of memories…..
Ok, so this is not a great photo. But I have finished the striped section completely and am now about to start the decreases for the sleeves
but use your imagination (grin) as I go from one wrist to the neck, down a front, around the bottom of that front, across the bottom of the back and the second front before turning up the second front and finishing out at the second wrist. Much more believable is that the decreases have taken me under 700 stitches per round…..
Deadline coming up – I am making progress again…