I have three lenses for my SLR camera; the 18-55 that came with my camera, the zoom that my kind soul got when he traded in Lufthansa frequent flyer milage last fall and the new 50mm close up lens I purchased last week.
Two of the three lenses work fine, the one that came with the camera not. It wasn’t focusing. Somewhere, in the back of my mind there was this thought that there had to be a problem with lens. Two of three functioning said that the camera body was working as advertised.
On the web are some wonderful articles about how the focusing mechanism works, the averaging and where in the light/mirror stream all the sensing takes place. It makes sense now, but doesn’t answer the basic question – what can I do when a good lens goes bad?
20 minutes on the web, and I had not found anything brilliant, so I went lusting after fancier cameras on the Cannon site. After all – there was this nice little opportunity to compare three cameras side by side.
As I was reading across from cheapest to most expensive, the site noted that the cheapest, unlike the more expensive cameras, did not have a switch on the lens to change from AF to MF. And the flash explodes in my head. Right there, on the lens is this little switch in the 7 o’clock position set to – you guessed it – MF for manual focus.
Duh. Oh, blast, the photos I missed last night because of not being able to use something other than a close-up/wide angle fixed mm lens.
OTOH, think of the money I saved as well as not looking incredibly stupid.
There I would have gone tomorrow into a German camera shop. Told the wo/man working there that my lens wouldn’t focus. And it set to have me do it manually, rather than on auto focus
I went outside to visit the flowers
and took it along when we went out to pick up the dog
who apparently had a good time visiting, even managing to deal with the goats.
You can see the sunshine – this is not England. The weather was warm
and I had a lovely rest.
AKA tubey from the bottom up.
After finishing the bottom half – I placed markers in reverse for the two sides, the center back and 16 stitches into the front on each side.
After doing a provisional cast on for the first sleeve – I started purling back – attaching the one edge to the live body stitches by purling two together
turning the work, slipping a stitch from the right needle to the left
then passing the “two together stitch” over the slipped stitch before returning this stitch
to the right handle needle. The next step is to knit back to the currently open edge before repeating. To make the number of rows work with the number of stitches I occasionally put an extra stitch in the purl together.